Music Banter - View Single Post - What’s the song I keep hearing in Olympic coverage?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 07:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Terrapin_Station
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Your first image isn't showing up. I can't really conjure up what a beat sounds like by looking at musical notation anyway though. I was hoping more for some examples.

Also, I'm confused by the way you keep referring to bossa nova as just "bossa". I've never seen that before, seems linguistically weird. Are we talking about the same thing? My understanding of bossa nova was that it was more of an artistic movement than simply a particular beat.
Hmm . . . weird about the image. I can see it on my computer. Maybe because of different browsers? Anyway, yeah, "bossa" is just an abbreviation for "bossa nova." Maybe it was more of an "artistic movement." but from a musician's perspective, "bossa (nova)" simply refers to certain musical characteristics defined primarily by rhythm section patterns. If you're a musician who is interested in playing Latin music, and you're a rhythm section player (drums/percussion, bass, piano, guitar), you need to learn all of the characteristics that define them, so that you know a bossa from a samba, mambo, rumba, salsa, tango, cha-cha, etc.--there are a bunch of different "modes" in that vein, and they all have different defining characteristics.

That's also important just for doing jazz gigs in general. A bandleader might call "Autumn Leaves as a bossa" or "Satin Doll as a mambo" and you need to know what to play so that you're actually doing a bossa or mambo or whatever.

I've worked as much as a jazz musician as anything else, but I've done a number of Latin gigs over the years, too. In fact, I've been working with a fusiony Afro-Cuban jazz band recently.
Terrapin_Station is offline   Reply With Quote