Music Banter - View Single Post - Wpnfire's Favorite Thrash Metal
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wpnfire
Dragon

Default Wpnfire's Favorite Thrash Metal

I'm going to copy other users' threads devoted towards a specific topic and start my own.
I'm not sure what this thread is supposed to be. I want to talk about thrash metal I like here, but these entries are too short to be journal-worthy.

I have found quite a lot of thrash metal I like over the years. My taste in thrash metal is like my taste in any other genre. I like it to be melodic and frantic. If you are expecting to see discussion of the big three of Teutonic thrash, death-thrash, and thrash-black, prepare to be disappointed. If you mention Sodom in this thread I will decapitate you with a chainsaw. I'll be talking almost exclusively about mid-to-late-period thrash metal here, somewhere in the range of 1986-1992 - because those are my favorite years for thrash.

The albums mentioned here may not always be my favorite thrash albums. Sometimes one or two songs may standout enough for me to mention the album here.

Slayer – South Of Heaven

I could have started with Reign In Blood, or Rust in Peace, or any of the other notable albums, but the more I thought about it, the more I knew it had to be this. South of Heaven is a borderline favorite album for me, and it is inconsistent. Still, when it's right, this album fills me with immeasurable joy.

Obviously Reign In Blood is WAY better than this, but the doom-y sound of this album is very hard to find fault with. Everything that Slayer did on 'Reign is still here, but compared to that album the riffs have more melody, and Araya is far more mellow, a far cry from his piercing screams on Reign In Blood. That, combined with the tempo drop makes this an atmospheric album with a very doom-y sound to it. This entire album sounds like Bach's toccata and fugue in D minor in thrash metal form. "South of Heaven" has to be some sort of pinnacle of thrash-doom, with lots of slow, chugging riffs and that striking opening riff. Two of the tracks on here are doom-y enough to be on used as the inspiration for a track on DOOM and DOOM II each—another reason this album is awesome. DOOM is exactly the scenario that I imagine this album being played in. A journey through hell killing things.

Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote