Music Banter - View Single Post - What’s the song I keep hearing in Olympic coverage?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Terrapin_Station
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
So, are you a drummer? Percussion is one of my favorite things in music, though I’m really awful at playing it. I'd be curious to hear your Afro-Cuban jazz band, I love stuff like that.
My primary instruments are drums/percussion, bass and keyboards. I've played all of them professionally. Drums were my first instrument--I started taking drum lessons when I was only 6 years old (11 for piano/keyboards and 15 for bass), and I'm probably more skilled as a drummer than I am on the other instruments I play. Lately I've been gigging as a drummer most of the time again (I went through periods where I primarily gigged on my other instruments, especially bass.) Outside of gigging, though, I play keyboards more than anything else, because outside of live and studio work, 90-something percent of the time I'm writing and arranging.

I dabble with some guitar, too, but I pretty much suck on guitar and I'd never try to gig on guitar. The problem there is that I didn't get around to buying a guitar until I was in my 30s and I've never practiced it much. I struggle with the mechanics of it--I don't know if I'm just too used to bass, but guitar just seems too small to me/the strings seem to close together, etc. I can eke out guitar parts for demos, though.
Terrapin_Station is offline   Reply With Quote