Music Banter - View Single Post - New Metallica album coming out November 18, 2016 -- Hardwired..To Self-Destruct
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #99 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin_Station View Post
Yeah, I'm generally not a fan of really long studio albums, either. That's one thing I miss from the vinyl days. Around 30-35 minutes as a minimum and 45 minutes as a maximum always seemed like an ideal length of an album to me.

I'm not a fan movies being long for that matter, either. It's not as if I don't like any longer films, but I don't think I've ever seen a film that I felt needed to be longer than 90-100 minutes.

From a creator's perspective, working within limitations like that generally produces better work in my opinion. Tighten that $h|t up.
Writing something more concise than usual would certainly be a healthy challenge for Metallica, but in general I don't mind long albums. It depends a lot on the band, though. Some artists make it work really well.
With movies, I'm pretty into 100-180 minute movies - given than the source material is interesting enough. I wish they made more of those old-timey epics like Spartacus and Ben Hur, that had an overture and a beefy running time. A 160 minute action movie is beyond overkill though. I really hate those modern special-effect-a-thons that just never know when to quit.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote