Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 50 Best Musicians/Bands Since 2000
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #30 (permalink)
The Music Observer
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuy Grungeman View Post
A: you should start using question marks. B: Can you really put Mumford, Gaga, and Avril on the same pedestal as LCD, Sufjan, Arcade Fire, and Tame Impala? C: shouldn't a music review website compile a list based more on the menber's opinion rather than the creator? I mean, that list would practically be official, meaning user opinions are unnecessary. D: If he's gonna post a list, he's opening himself up to criticism. E: I never used the word "awful." I just found a couple things that bug me.
Thank you for your concerns. Yes, I would hate to go down the road that many large review sites had of becoming more about propaganda and less about the music. I would, however, like to question your seemingly lack of appreciation of certain genres to the point that you deem all of its artists less worthy than those of other genres. Trust me, I despise much of today's pop music just as much as the next guy, but it does have its merits and can be done right. Every genre of music can be said to have merit (although a strong case can be made against country). Of course, I'm not telling you to like anything that you simply can't get into. As a student of the academic music world for years, though, I will say that opening myself up and dropping pretenses about certain genres did a world of good for me as a listener and composer. Don't take my word as law, this is simply a discussion about what this generation of music has brought us.
The Music Observer is offline   Reply With Quote