Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #8621 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I think I played all the games ever released in the series. The 2012 game was good, but it wasn't great. It got rather boring rather quickly. The sequel though .. the whole strategic level changes, as you move around in your base. It's no longer just a place where you shoot down ufos and send teams, it's a place where you have to choose. Prioritize.
As for tactical level - asides from several minor updates like new equipment or whatnot, there is one huge change - virtually every mission has a time limit, and it's rarely more than 8 turns. Unless you start the scenario in cover, which means the timer will start when you are discovered, not when you enter mission area. This is a change I thought was horrible .. until I actually played the game (and completed it). Gone are the "let's all camp in overwatch and have one guy lure the aliens to us" missions, in most cases anyway. The game is challenging, it actually forces you to act and sometimes compromise tactically.
Generally X-com 2 is the game X-com wanted to be, but failed.
The turn limit sounds interesting and like a pretty drastic change. I'm also hoping that I'll like the base management in X-Com 2 better. In the previous game, I pretty much hated the way it worked (for a myriad of tiny reasons). The co-dependencies for getting and deploying a sattelite, for example, really just felt annoying to me. I loved how you could just buy and place stuff in the original. It felt both more flexible and more transparent.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote