Music Banter - View Single Post - Bands that lost you to change
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #35 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I think it's just rare that a band can release 10 unique genre defining albums
Yes, definitely, but there are several bands/artists that have released 10+ albums where I found that every single one of those albums had something to offer me that made it not redundant, but interesting in comparison with the other albums in the discography. And then you might have whole other bands who have done a similar thing better, but it wouldn't feel the same when done by different musicians and singers.

Now, I know that Tori Amos is not exactly super popular around here, but she's a great example of an artist that has grown with every album and an artist who is unique enough to have something to add to the overall genre conversation.
Prince is another. I've got 19 albums by now and I still don't feel that any one of those 19 albums have been boring or redundant.
Then you have Children of Bodom - a band that I really love - but I don't need them to ever make an album again. They keep playing the same style with little to no variation and they've already made more than one perfect iteration on that style. I don't need more, no matter how good it could be.

None of those artists have continued making genre defining album after genre defining album, but Prince and Amos have both continued to make albums that were fresh to me, as a fan.

I see people have very different views on this sort of thing, which is especially noticable when reading snarky reviews of "passé" artists, for example.
No music critic gives a **** about what Prince did for the last two decades of his life or about anything Tori Amos has done after her 3 first albums.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote