Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 50 Best Musicians/Bands Since 2000
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #55 (permalink)
The Music Observer
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
If you wanna reach people who don't already geek out with music, maybe writing isn't the way forward.
Who would read articles on a music review site? People who are already actively interested in music in a somewhat deeper way than your average Joe.
I'm saying this because your original post gives me the impression that you want to show the "plebians" how to appreciate the best artists or something. If that's what is going on, I think that playing good music for people is going to do a hell of a lot more good than writing about it.
I mostly stopped writing reviews on a blog myself because I felt like I was just preaching to the choir.
I'm just throwing some thoughts around. Don't take it as a dismissal of your ideas.
Yeah, that certainly makes sense. You do have to know your audience. I'm still learning about it on the fly. For me, coming from an academic standpoint I knew that what I had to say about music would mostly be appreciated by other musicians and those who actively seek music reviews, so I created a site. My recent "Top 50" article was a diversion from that, as you said, so I guess part of it is just knowing who you are targeting. That's why I lightened up on some musical vocabulary and included songs to play with the article. But I'm still trying to figure out the best ways myself. It's tough to write specific music reviews because if it's too distant from mainstream culture it won't get any traction, but if it's a widely held viewpoint then it might not be worth saying.
The Music Observer is offline   Reply With Quote