Music Banter - View Single Post - The Classical Music Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #243 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I'm not really much into classical music. Like many plebs, I just like the odd soundtrack. A while ago I read this long article series that introduced various composers and offered up sound clips to show what their styles were and I found Berg to speak to me more than most. People have been shoving Mozart and other ancient, well worn composers in my face for years and I've felt very little. Then I hear this supposedly less relatable stuff by this Berg guy and I'm actually moved. Maybe some people just need to hear some more modern stuff to get into classical? My local record store has nothing with this composer, but it's the one thing that has captured me so far outside of film soundtracks.
Mozart is a good composer, but what we hear today isn't what gave him notoriety. He was a master improviser and 999/1000 orchestras play his compositions without any improvisation at all, and often times that just makes it sound lifeless. I heard a pianist do variations on Turkish March and it was amazing. It kind of ruined hearing other people play Mozart as well.

What do you think of this?

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote