Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #4373 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I couldn't be bothered with Friends. I watched the first two seasons religiously and then I realized wtf. How did they manage to white wash NYC so much. There are so many minorities in NYC and I have to watch these stupid characters navigate NYC and see not one single minority. In one of the later seasons one of the guys gets a token black gf but i'm like what? Day late and a dollar short and it also brought into contrast how jarring it was to only see one black person. Where the **** are the latinos, asians and all the others that are mixed into the melting pot of NYC?
I know what you mean, but back then sitcoms still played to their target demographics. It being the 90's and the 90's being relatively affluent, their target demographic was privileged middle/upper-middle class white people in their 20's.

To be fair, Ross dated an asian chick fairly early on. That's one asian and one black person, check em off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
It was the 90s, bro. The Black Ranger was black, the Yellow Ranger was asian, and minorities on TV were a nice idea. It was like the last decade where "popular racism" was still cringe-inducingly prevalent in non-marginalized or divisive areas.
This. It was interesting growing up and seeing what my parents watched and thinking "damn, we were so ignorant" only to do the same thing 20+ years later.