Music Banter - View Single Post - The hip hop effect
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Black Francis
Out of Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujux17 View Post
Listening to hip hop/rap music has changed my life. I sam this because after many years of listening to artist like 2pac, ice cube, crooked I and many others, I realized that my views and mentality towards certain society issues were changing. My question to all hip hop/rap fanatics is; in what ways has this music culture influence your views and mentalities?
It taught me how to treat women and have respect for the law. It also taught me the basic guidelines on how to be a drug dealer.

But on a serious note, it taught me how writing rhymes and good lyrics can become an artform. When I first starting getting into hip hop/rap I thought it was just all rhyming words and that was it but after listening to a couple of good rappers I realized there was a lot more to it than that. I started to notice how between rhymes rappers started inserting obscure and pop culture references and metaphors and analogies that could go over your head at first but have a hook that makes them stay in your head, like for example, there's a verse I love in fall back by Victor Vaughn (Doom) where he puts in a Dumbo reference and a scientific one as a way to describe his vices and his approach towards music.

"You on the battlefield with lyrical militants
that know he feelin bent when he see lil' pink elephants
And never forget, to memorize the elements
Keep the mic sterilized, terrorize with eloquence"

When you hear a verse like that you start to recognize that it was written by someone who has mastered the craft of writing and rhyming, when you hear him say it, it sounds effortless but when you analyze the structure of it you can see a talented writer behind it.

I feel there's a lot of rappers that use hip hop and rap simply as a platform to become popular and rich and squeeze fame out of our pop culture but there are other rappers that approach hip hop and rap as an artform and focus on the craft of writing and clever wordplay.

Culturally, it hasn't changed the way I perceive society or how I think but it has made me aware of how they think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRbCtIgW3A
Black Francis is offline   Reply With Quote