Music Banter - View Single Post - My Exploration into 2016
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #35 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

The Skeleton Tree by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Release: Sept. 9, 2016
Style: Art Rock
Length: 37 min.

I recently got through a few Nick Cave albums on a post-punk buzz. What with this new one coming out, it was needless to listen to more since I was already well prepared and familiar with Nick Cave's form of darkness. Nick Caver;s done a lot ranging from goth rock to alternative rock to art rock. This one leans more towards the latter, but carries the same emotional discomfort as his gothic rock days.

Upon the first note, I felt that familiar Nick Cave sound I know from various other albums. “Jesus Alone's” chorus carried the line, “With my voice.” Every time he said that, I thought about how his voice hasn't changed very much since his early days. It was as if he was telling me he was the same Nick Cave no matter what decade he's in, unlike most artists who change over time or “modernize” themselves (although this album is very modernized). The difference between them and Nick Cave is that Cave, as usual, pulls it off. Then again, I can't see that voice changing very much. What really struck me about the song was the odd production and distorted background, giving off a similar experimental vibe to Blackstar. The next song, “Rings of Saturn,” steers more towards an ambient background, but Nick Cave still songs his singer/songwriter heart out with the perfect balance of emotion, exactly as much emotion as necessary. That seems to be a habit with him. But the lyrics, as usual, are just so meaningful. I don't think the guy can run out of poems. “Girl in Amber” is such a sad song, carrying very meaningful and depressing lyrics. This guy's songs can be so depressing that I'm surprised he's still alive. I wonder where he gets the influence for this such amazing, depressing songs? “Magneto” carries the ambient influence into a song that's more emotionally intriguing than depressing. I had already gone half-way through the album at this point, and I realized a little later on that these slow songs are making the album go by so quickly. I understand it's a 37 minute album, but it was still quick.

Next is “Anthrocene,” which takes a more artistic turn into the drone aspects of the album, belittered with electronic noises while Nick Cave just does his stuff. “I Need You” was driven by drone production, and carried the same meaningful tone as a post-rock album as it was less depressing and somehow more uplifting despite Nick Cave's common lyrical themes. The next song is “Distant Sky.” This one starts off a little boring in comparison to the rest, but then surprise vocals by Danish musician Else Torp (from Theater of Voices) drive the song to a new, comfortable kind of slow pace. Such a pretty voice. It makes up for the boring backing music. And to end the album, the title track comes along. Driven by an acoustic guitar, Nick Cave once again impresses me with his sense of lyrical meaning and balanced emotion.

Overall, the album is yet another continuation of Nick Cave's special brand of darkness, once again being parallel to his musical talent as if the two were brother and sister. One of his absolute best? I haven't heard enough Nick Cave to confirm that. One of the better albums of 2016? I'd definitely say so. For former dadrockers like me, it's a comfort to find that old 70's and 80's rock artists like Bowie and Nick Cave haven't lost their touch. It's at the release of this album that I get it in my head that it's impossible for Nick Cave to release a bad album. Well, I'll know if I ever listen to all of his albums. Nick Cave isn't like other classic rock musicians. He knows how to modernize. He knows how to stay great. The Skeleton Tree is proof.

85/100.