Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone else (say they) listen to/like "everything"?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Terrapin_Station
Music Addict

Default Anyone else (say they) listen to/like "everything"?

I do. It always seems weird to me when I run into people who seem to believe that no one can listen to or especially like "everything."

Obviously, that doesn't mean that one has heard every album, every artist, etc.--there's too much music in the world for anyone to have heard literally everything.

And I know that a lot of people who aren't big music fans will answer "everything" when you ask them what music they listen to or like.

Also, I have preferences of course.

But I listen to a like a huge variety of music, stuff from every genre, really, maybe with the exception of some genres that are extremely obscure that have only a few artists in them. In those cases, I just don't know about the genre. But I'm familiar with a ton of obscure stuff, too.

I regularly, equally collect music from 39 to 50+ genres depending on how you count them--those are my favorite genres, and I listen to and like plenty of music from plenty other genres aside from those, too. Some of my favorite genres are extremely broad--they have tons of subgenres. I like all of it.

I have thousands of artists in my collection and many thousands of albums. I've yet to run into a genre where I don't like some music that falls under it. I like the vast majority of music I hear at least a bit. There are really no artists I hate. Even the few things that I'm more indifferent towards I regularly listen to if they're in my collection, because almost everything grows on me/I've gone from not caring very much for something to liking it a lot plenty of times in the past. In fact, that almost always happens.

I also don't really have any clear hierarchy of favorites. I tried to make a list of all of my favorite artists one time and it ended up being somewhere around 2000 different artists. If I try to say my "top 100" of those, it ends up being at least a few hundred. I can't narrow it down more. I like a ton of stuff equally. I can't really name favorite albums by particular artists because if I like them, I usually like all of their albums about the same amount. There are a bunch of artists I like with large discographies where I'd give every album a 10/10. It's the same for songs. It's impossible for me to name favorites. I'd have to just randomly list songs. I tend to get into whatever music is playing at the time. My only requirement is variety.

So it's way easier to just say that I listen to/like "everything" when someone asks, because it's pretty accurate--and who wants a list of 50+ genres and thousands of artists?
Terrapin_Station is offline   Reply With Quote