Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone else (say they) listen to/like "everything"?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ninetales
Music Addict

I think that I've generally found my niche(s) in terms of what music I like/think that I have a higher chance of liking. I don't specifically cut genres out completely, but I feel as though I know what my preferences lean towards and I prefer spending my time exploring music that I believe I have a higher chance of enjoying (short term or long term). So, no I don't listen to everything, and despite the hyper-positive "I-listen-to-everything" ideal, I'm not really open to everything either (I try not to openly bash music I don't normally enjoy, but I certainly won't be too enthused to listen to the newest/greatest hard rock or indie folk album).

I used to consume any and every type of music just to see what sticks. And now that I have a general idea, I like exploring the branches that I've found the most enjoyment in. And that's not to say I stick to one specific genre anyway; as much as ambient (or like genres) is what I tend to gravitate to the most, I couldn't listen to it all the time. But there definitely are genres that I have, for the most part, pragmatically cut from my regular listening.

And I too have similar problems as the OP. I find it exhausting to rank artists/albums by my favorites as those change regularly due to mood - not to mention I have a difficult time comparing albums that are vastly different sonically. This just happens due to the immense volume of listening that most of us have, rather than the total number of genres that we regularly listen to.
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote