Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone else (say they) listen to/like "everything"?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #57 (permalink)
Terrapin_Station
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Sometimes I find myself saying that because there is a lot I am into and I guess I say it in a conversation for expediency, but I know I am not into everything. I don't think it is necessary to know everything. I find it a little impossible. When it comes to listening to music I split my time, sometimes I listen to bands I already know, and sometimes I go hunting for a new favorite. I keep in a word doc a list of bands I discover on YouTube which is bar none my favorite site to find new music. So from time to time I look back at that list and I realize how much I would like to go through each those bands and music artist and listen their albums but I don't have time. My goal isn't to hear everything or know everything. It is to discover music that is meaningful to me.
Well, part of it with me is that the one thing I do hate is a lack of variety. I definitely couldn't listen to the same songs or albums daily, weekly, etc.--which is one of the big reasons I stopped listening to commercial music radio by the mid 80s--the playlists got way too narrow for my tastes. I don't even like hearing the same artists daily or weekly etc., and I don't like hearing too much from the same genre at a time, either. I can hear the same genres a bit every day, but only as long as I'm hearing a bunch of other genres, too.

I'm so much like that that it's steered my career as a musician. I love the Rolling Stones, but if I had to be in a band like the Rolling Stones and play "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" over and over for 50 years I'd want to shoot myself. So I've concentrated on studio work, journeyman/gun-for-hire type gigs, etc., and I've played a $h|tload of different music over the years, with frequent changes.
Terrapin_Station is offline   Reply With Quote