Music Banter - View Single Post - Where to start with home recording? (Software, equipment. etc.)
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Xseven
Groupie

If you're looking to just start out working on a computer; and have fun making music experimenting; I'd strongly recommend the following.

[Software]
Acoustica Mixcraft
This is what I use intermediately - I'm beginning to take slow baby steps towards a full time career with music. This program has an small-medium learning curve if you know the basics of a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). And above all else, you can easily obtain high quality, and damn near PROFESSIONAL quality, just with a few tweaks and patience - for A THIRD of what every other company wants. It's the diamond in the ruff, when it comes to music production/recording!

Of course, no DAW is complete without extra plugins. For vocals I've found...
Spit-fish (A de-esser, which tones down the sharp SSSSSSSSSS from vocals) to be quite handy.

I can't think of other plugins I use on most projects, I'll post them later on.

As far as hardware goes, don't bother spending $1, 000 for recording crap and sound treatment. No need. Just save up and grab this amazing USB interface called the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. You can plug in a microphone and a guitar, or two guitars if you wish, bass and electric(acoustic).

It's $150, and worth every penny!

If you have a little extra spending money, I'd recommend the studio bundle so you get a mic and headset as well.

I just got the interface, and ordered an Audio Technica AT2020 microphone.

But if you're not looking for professional sound, you can just use a Rockband, Guitar Hero or Singstar microphone. They're all the same - a logitech USB microphone branded. It gets a bit scratchy and is pretty sensitive but none the less a good starter mic! It'll definitely help you learn some engineering techniques which will help you out when/if you'd like to get more serious with your music.

With just the 2i2, Mixcraft, and stealing a friends Rockband mic (or buying one for $20) you've spent less than what you would on a new guitar and you can record good quality songs onto your PC and upload them immediately after you've finished recording.

If you need links, send me a message and I'll send them. I cannot post links yet because I'm a little noob Also, I'll send you a song I did with a Karaoke Revolution mic so you get an idea of what you can get out of something you wouldn't expect to perform as such.

Hope this helps you out!

Sincerely,
B James.
Xseven is offline   Reply With Quote