Music Banter - View Single Post - The greatest Zeppelin song of all time
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #398 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin_Station View Post
I pretty much rate everything Zeppelin a 10/10--they're my #5 artist, after all, and the only way they'd achieve that status is by me liking them that much, but this is definitely one of my favorite Zeppelin tunes. I wish they'd done more in this vein:
As is usual with Zep albums the release of Graffiti was delayed so people were advance ordering it from their local mom and pop record stores (that's how it was back then). I was one of the over 1 million people who was on a waiting list - making it the first album ever, in any genre, to go platinum on advance sales alone.

The day I got the call I begged my mom to drive me so I could pick it up. That night I got thoroughly stoned and listened to all 4 sides with only a single red light on in my room. The entire album was amazing but I can clearly flash back to putting on side 3 and hearing the opening synth sounds of this track. It sounded so creepy and exotic at the same time - and only something that the mighty Zep could have written and recorded.

Cool fact about Graffiti is that half the songs were written and recorded between 1970 and 1972 while the rest were done in 1974. Plant had throat surgery after the 73 tour and lost a lot of his upper range. If you listen close you can easily tell which songs were pre-surgery and which were afterwards.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”

Last edited by Chula Vista; 10-02-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote