Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord's Attempt at a Life of StarCraft
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 03:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

The Batlord's Attempt at a Life of

Entry #4: StarCraft 1/Brood War... Why Not?

Been about a million years, but I've been lazy about videogames in general recently, and I've barely played StarCraft 2 except for the odd Legacy of the Void campaign mission (LotV is the Protoss campaign, and I kind of hate Protoss, so it's been slow going), or last night when I got wasted and decided to do an unranked match. Got butt****ed.

But I've played a bit of StarCraft 1 while doing my Youtube channel, so I'm... vaguely familiar with it. Figured I'd take a shot at some multiplayer. Well, as you might expect the online community on Blizzard's official servers is kind of dead, and the servers themselves are desperately in need of basic technical support.

Finally got it working by hooking up to a non-official server that seems to be where all the real action is (at 5am there were over a hundred people online, which is pretty good for a nearly 20-year-old game). So I played my first game just now, and goddamn did I get ****ing stomped. I lasted maybe five minutes against a Protoss player who didn't even let me get my first expansion (extra base) up before descending upon me with the wrath of Tassadar. I felt like a little kid taking a swing at his dad. I guess people still playing Brood War after all this time have a lot more experience than your average SC2 noob, which I was kind of expecting.

Still, it was interesting to experience the original, and I'd love to try again... maybe after at least finishing the Terran campaign, as I really am not at all experienced with even one single faction. And since I can actually record SC1 with a watchable FPS you might even get to see my monumental failures.

Stay tuned... ?

All Hail the Swarm!

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote