Music Banter - View Single Post - De-extinction: Ethics Debate
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
BlackMalachite
Night Traveler

Default De-extinction: Ethics Debate

So, what are your views on de-extinction? For those who don't know, here's a brief definition:

De-extinction, or resurrection biology, or species revivalism is the process of creating an organism, which is either a member of, or resembles an extinct species, or breeding population of such organisms. Cloning is the most widely proposed method, although selective breeding has also been proposed. (Source: Wikipedia)

Personally, I think it's the next step in our species unlocking understanding, and working towards mastering the genetic code of our world. I don't see any moral issues with bringing an extinct animal back (considering the ones that we're able to resurrect right now such as the Mammoth we're at the very least partially responsible for their extinction in the first place). They'd be well taken care of due to the sheer amount of money via grants that would be poured into this project once the mainstream caught on, and it would allow us to understand so much more about evolution, the processes of animals in the past, and much, much more.

Personally, I think we should even go a step farther and bring back the Neanderthal, I understand that's an entirely different debate due to being a human ancestor, but in terms of understanding our own genes, and how genes work in humans overall (which could bridge into many, many different things), I think that we should pursue these areas of research.
BlackMalachite is offline   Reply With Quote