Music Banter - View Single Post - Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #109 (permalink)
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard
OQB

Wax Fang - LA LA Land
Recommended by: 1blankmind

Can't say I've heard of these guys before blank joined the forum. I know he holds them in fairly high regard so hopefully this album delivers so that I don't feel the need to roast him for liking ****ty music.

Majestic: Kicks off like a soft acoustic ballad. Kind of boring, to be honest. I can respect a pretty soundscape, but this is a little too basic and straight forward. SUDDENLY, Freddie Mercury rises from the grave and this band turns into a total Queen cover act. Totally meh so far, and the guitar solo was pretty basic to be honest. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. The country twang brought into the mix near the end is kind of neat, I suppose.

World War II (Pt. 2): Decent riff to start this one off. Indie rock vibe, but I can totally get down with that. Oh no, **** this vocalist. I thought he was just trying some weird Freddie Mercury bs on the first track, but he actually just has an annoying ****ing voice. I don't know if Great Big Sea are a thing in the US, but that's what his voice reminds me of and that makes me want to hang myself as soon as physically possible. I do like the guitar work though so all hope is not lost.

At Sea: This one also kicks off with some ballad-y acoustic guitar, but it kind of works. It does drag on a little too long though, as far as I'm concerned. Oh wait, there's some synths being added, where is this going? Not really anywhere... okay then.

Cannibal Summer: Smooth transition between tracks, shame they're both hella boring. I liked the guitar work on the second track so much, I was hoping for more of the same so I could ignore the ****ty vocalist... OH WAIT, there it is. A little generic on the guitar riff, but it's immensly better than the acoustic bs so I'll cope.

The Doctor Will See You Now: I think I hate the singer's vocal melodies more than his voice, tbh. It just flat out annoys me, man. This kind of sounds exactly like the first song, just with acoustic guitar instead. This just isn't my cup of tea, mate.

Can You See the Light: This one is... totally okay. I like it more than most of what I've heard, but I'm still quite indifferent towards it.

Avant Guardian Angel Dust: Sometimes I find myself liking their guitar work (the layering here is especially nice) but it always ends up going somewhere I'm not into. Dude how much ****ing longer is this going to build up? I guess it's going for a post-rock crescendo type deal, but it's not very exciting or atmospheric in the least. On the bright side it appears to be an instrumental track.

Oh, Recklessness: Great, is this an acoustic track? I swear... Dude seriously? **** these guys. That was some generic ass singer songwriter bs with enough post-rock influence to seem like they put a slight hint of effort into it... but it still sucks.

Black & Endless Night Revisted: I don't really have anything to add about this song. These guys just bore me to tears really, there's nothing exciting about what they're doing, and the fact that they're listed as experimental and psychedelic on Wikipedia make me angrier than a JGuyGrungeman.

Wake Up Sleepyhead: Last song here, fingers crossed I don't fall asleep. This bitch is 10 ****ing minutes long. Oh. My. God. SNOOZEFEST. Finally around the 3 minute mark things pick up, but they don't get much better to be honest. It sounds like a crossover of a Smashing Pumpkins song and something you'd hear in the Sims.

Final Verdict: Like I said at the start, I wanted to like this album. Maybe it just wasn't my "thing", I don't know. What I do know, however, is that I was left very unimpressed by the band, and found myself far more often than not anticipating the end of every track. This one is without a doubt, a fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote