Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #625 (permalink)
Justme1981
Groupie

Default Let's have a polite discussion on the myth recent music is just different not worse.

I'm totally new to this forum and it is the only music forum online that is active. But, I read a while back on Facebook a young woman write something to the effect of, "music never gets worse it's just the older generation can't appreciate the new generation," when responding to criticism of All Time Low.

Now, I'm thirty five and I do not get music after 2005. I was a teen in the nineties and listened to music of the Grunge era. The only thing I listened to between 2000-2005 was Franz Ferdinand, the Killers, and Cold Play before they changed format. After that I started to listen to Sixties and Seventies music and realized it was a better musical time than the Nineties, but what the Nineties had was authenticity, prophesy, and rawness.

Here is what was on THE RADIO when I was a kid and it was all original new, not rehashed, not cover, not stolen, all new music:

Alice in Chains,
Nirvana
Pearl Jam,
Soundgarden,
Smashing Pumpkins,
Alanis Morisset,
Tori Amos,
Screaming Trees,
Bad Religion,
Temple of the Dog,
Red Hot Chili Peppers,
Offspring
The Cardigans,
Lush,
Sonic Youth,
Oasis
Blink 182
REM,
Weezer

There was also Korn and Slip Knot, but they stole all their music from bands like Drowning Pool.

I don't just listen to Rock, I like Blues, Jazz, R&B, Soul and especially Funk but it was not on the on mainstream radio in the nineties and I'm not as much of an aficionado of it as Rock. Rap in the Eighties and Nineties was powerful but again while I love that period of rap I never got into it.

So, I pose the following questions for discussion:

1) What Rock is played now on MAINSTREAM RADIO like it was until 2005?
2) Is Music worse now for the younger generation?
3) If you think music is worse now since 2005 what caused t?

Thanks
Justme1981 is offline   Reply With Quote