Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan: Nobel Prize In Literature
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
There was always awards for the five categories (peace, physics, literature, medicine, and chemistry...later a related one in Economics). Alfred Nobel started it since when his brother died, his obituary was accidentaly printed and he was essentially known as the "Merchant of Death" (being the inventor of dynamite and all). So he wanted to improve his legacy..hence the awards he created.
^ OK, thanks for the fact-check, Lilja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesome Hobo View Post
Well deserved award. There's more to Bob Dylan than 'Blowin' in the Wind' and 'The Times They Are A Changin''. Pains me when he's mentioned on the news and radio, and these seem to be the only tunes they mention.
They should sit down with a copy of Oh Mercy, Blood On The Tracks, John Wesley Harding. He's consistently released albums for over 50 years, with lyrics that very few can even come close to.
^ I absolutely agree with this sentiment, though, acknowledging OccultHawk, perhaps the word "consistently" doesn't apply. Your main point stands, though; in terms of lyrics, the albums you mention are among his most satisfying, along with Desire and Street Legal.

And it's not just the latest media flurry that focuses so much on early Dylan. I've noticed for years that tribute and anniversary concerts seem to lean much more towards his early or mid-career material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I think it's an incredible song. Astonishing that it even has an author as it feels like it evolved from the earth as a part of nature.
^ Yep, even though this song has been done to death, I think it works well as a piece of writing. Dylan uses simple language and universal images, like doves, roads, mountains and sea, but he makes us think about complex notions like maturity, hypocrisy, oppression and truth.