Music Banter - View Single Post - What kind of music do you find most unappealing?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
GD
???pp? ??snW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
One thing to note is that I don't consider abstraction or dissonance to be negatives, but all of the words you used for the first category would be words I use to negatively describe music.
also true. It may be a somewhat loaded question, but I know that plenty of people would rather listen to something they were well aware was clichéd over something that "hurt their ears".

For future voters, keep in mind that I'm not thinking about something like distorted guitars or "heaviness" when I say abrasive, but full on chaos, atonality/pantonality or altogether rejection of recognizable pitches and such. Also, off-key singing and very loose/amateurish-sounding stuff like f.ex. The Shaggs could possibly also fit into category b).

edit: It's also worth noting that although the two categories are not mutually exclusive in all cases, I feel the overlap is fairly negligible. You could argue that one option having more apparently subjective terms will skew the poll in favor of the first option, but I honestly couldn't find any good objective descriptors to box in the kind of music I had in mind. Although few will probably admit to preferring "contrived" music, maybe they would if they absolutely couldn't stand the latter option...

Last edited by GD; 10-28-2016 at 04:05 PM.
GD is offline   Reply With Quote