Music Banter - View Single Post - What kind of music do you find most unappealing?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 10:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantic Debaser View Post
Just a little poll I wanted to post purely out of curiosity. It'd be interesting to see how the results are distributed among users on the site.

The question is:
If you had to pick one of the two general categories, which kind of qualities would you say has the most probability to put you off towards a given piece of music?:

a) Banality, contrivance, cliché or sentimentality (etc.)
b) Abstraction, dissonance, "cacophony" or abrasiveness (etc.)

edit: Or differently put; which one annoys you most, if at all? /edit

Feel free to explain your preference, but no there's no obligation to do so. The poll choices will be public.
As much as I hate the lack of musical notes being employed in modern pop music. I still have to go with option A over option B

I like my music to have melody even if it's cliche sounding revival genres. You can go a long ways with simple sentimental, or melancholy sounding tracks. Oasis was a good example of this. They were average and ordinary, almost banal, but they knew how to make good use of sad sounding melodies.

As for the dissonant, I can listen to Skinny Puppy on a good day, but I'll take a pass on mathcore, and most progressive rock.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote