Music Banter - View Single Post - What kind of music do you find most unappealing?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
GD
???pp? ??snW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Option A is more of a turnoff to me I guess. Not that there isn't some music I like that's a little cliched or sentimental, but overall, though I may not always be in the mood for an Albert Ayler or a Throbbing Gristle, the Whitney Houstons and Tim McGraws of the world consistently make me want to punch something.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel too. Certainly there are days where I don't have the energy to listen to something really challenging, but I do whenever I'm in the mood.
Towards the "a)"-stuff, there are some clichés I find more tolerable than others, I can even enjoy some of it at times, but I would definitely say that, for me personally, both Pop balladry and a good chunk of certain Metal sub-genres are among the worst offenders in this category, though a lot of modern "indie" is guilty as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
As much as I hate the lack of musical notes being employed in modern pop music. I still have to go with option A over option B

I like my music to have melody even if it's cliche sounding revival genres. You can go a long ways with simple sentimental, or melancholy sounding tracks. Oasis was a good example of this. They were average and ordinary, almost banal, but they knew how to make good use of sad sounding melodies.

As for the dissonant, I can listen to Skinny Puppy on a good day, but I'll take a pass on mathcore, and most progressive rock.
Thanks for your perspective. It's interesting to hear from the other point of view as well. (Oh, and btw I'm not saying that sentimentality, or at least a strong presence of sentiment necessarily denotes cliché.)

Just curious, how do you feel about something like this, for instance?:

Last edited by GD; 10-31-2016 at 01:08 PM.
GD is offline   Reply With Quote