Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 11:55 PM   #647 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

As soon as a parent turns to studies, reports, findings, etc. to guide them on how to raise a child they become a puppet to data.

We went off our own instincts and personal experiences as to how to, and how not to raise our kids.

Disclaimer: I did read Dr. Spock's world renowned Baby Book before Sherri was born since I was only 23 and didn't have a clue as to how to properly care for an infant. And I did read quite a bit to help me deal with Michael's issues since I also had no experience with how to handle such a challenging illness. But that was only in the past 7 years or so once things became apparent.

Other than that it was all instinct.

Little side story: When me and my older sister were around 8 and 10-ish our grandparents took us to a cabin in the woods by a lake for a couple of days.

Grandparents would have been late 60s early 70s by then.We were let outside to play and thought it would be funny to hide on them. We let them search for us for like a 20 minutes before coming out. We nearly gave them both a heart attack cause they thought we'd drowned, got snatched, or were lost in the woods.

My grandfather cut a switch from the nearest tree and we both got a number of whacks with it. Hurt like bloody hell and made us both cry, but in hindsight we totally deserved it for nearly killing them.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote