Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Music Hall
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #95 (permalink)
Key

[Song Highlight] Porcupine Tree: Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

Don't worry, I'm starting this off easy by mentioning a track that I'm almost certain everybody has heard. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here is featured on the Deadwing album by Porcupine Tree, and it has been known to be one of the best songs out there in recent years. Not only is it instrumentally fantastic, but lyrically it is beautiful.

"All my designs, simplified
And all of my plans, compromised
All of my dreams, sacrificed"

While a lot of people will criticize Steven Wilson for his overuse of poetic lyricism mixed with the dark nature of it altogether, it still fits in with his music whether you're listening to his band works, or solo albums. He has a way of expressing his art through words and to fault somebody for that is rather silly. This entire song is possibly one of the best songs they've ever made, and I mean it's up there with being in the same vein as War Pigs is for Black Sabbath, or Holy Diver with Dio. If not that caliber, it's certainly close.

It's not everyday that you get a track like this that you can listen to time and time again and think "man, I'm glad I listen to this band", and this track for me is personally why I love the band as much as I do. It showcases everything good about them, and even the live footage of this track shows off everything they do well, and they are no stranger to showing off.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote