Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Music Hall
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #96 (permalink)
Key

Let's Talk About...No-Man

It's actually been a couple of years since I've listened to No-Man and it's not because I haven't had the time to listen to their work, it's more-so because I wasn't entirely impressed with what they had to offer the first time through. If you're unaware, No-Man consists of Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson. I think back when I first listening to this group, I was more interested in hearing Porcupine Tree-esque instrumentals and not the light easy going music that the group has going for them, at least with Schoolyard Ghosts.

Over time I sort of grew up and my music taste followed, and I have to admit, listening to Schoolyard Ghosts now is actually quite a nice experience. It could have something to do with already knowing what to expect with the group, and not setting my expectations higher than they need to be, but that's not to say it's bad by any means. It's actually quite good, and it reminds me a lot of some post-rock bands I really like, when the pleasant vocals over the top. Really makes for a wonderful listening experience. If you're interested in this duo, I'd certainly put Schoolyard Ghosts at the top of my rec list, because for me it seems the most accessible.

Of course, I'm not too familiar with their other work just yet, having only listened to parts of this album today, so throughout this month, I will be commenting on their other work. But listening to No-Man now as opposed to listening to them when I was younger is such a different and incredible experience that I look forward to listening to the rest. I'd even go as far as saying if you liked Storm Corrosion, this album is certainly more up your alley. Plus, it has Steven Wilson in it, what's not to like?
Key is offline   Reply With Quote