Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Music Hall
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #98 (permalink)
Key

I can't really remember exactly which song I heard that got me into the Steven Wilson addiction that I have today, but I know for certain that I experienced Deadwing and Fear of A Blank Planet before anything else. At this point, I hadn't really heard anything other than the small chit chat here and there discussing the band, and this was also in the time that I was just starting to get into the more progressive rock side of music. Yes, that started out with Dream Theater and the like but of course as time went on, I grew smarter and realized just what I was missing.

I feel like the first time I ever heard these two albums, I was blown away just as much as I am with them today give or take a few tracks. And the first time I ever heard Arriving Somewhere But Not Here is another story for another time, but I remember it being just as amazing as it is today. It was then I decided to look into some live DVD's of this band because I have always been of the opinion that you can really get the best feel for a band when you see a live performance, which of course prompted me to get:

Arriving Somewhere...

Although I had this DVD for quite some time, only recently did I realize just how many great tracks it has on it, while still offering the obvious Arriving Somewhere But Not Here. That was the only reason I had bought the DVD in the first place, so to be able to realize just how many great other tracks it has on it certainly makes it that much more worthwhile. Not to mention that also recently I found out that it was their first live performance DVD so not a bag way to start off your live DVD career.

Even today, I constantly get amazed by what Steven Wilson has done, is doing, and continues to do. He's on track with being alongside Devin Townsend for the most hard-working musician out there. He puts so much time into it and it shows with every release he brings out, and I look forward to what else he has up his sleeve.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote