Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #836 (permalink)
Xurtio
Brain Licker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I guess all these anti-physical discipline people will just let their kids touch the hot stove so that they don't "abuse" them.
It depends on how hot it is. If it will give them severe trauma or injury, no. If it will give them a burn mark and a little pain, YES. But "just" let them is misleading, I definitely tell them not to and warn them that they'll get hurt. Then I build trust with them over time with this behavior as I'm proven right, especially since I don't exaggerate consequences (or threaten adding my own).

Also, I personally subscribe to the bloody owie philosophy.

The important point is that I didn't cause it - but they still learned through natural consequence. So later, when they're in a ****ty situation that they'll get in even more trouble for with abusive parents (whether physical or emotional) they trust me and come to me for help instead of making the situation worse by avoiding me and my additional punishment added to their natural consequences.

I don't want to be my kid's friend, but I do want them to trust me. Otherwise they're going lie to me and hide **** from me.