Music Banter - View Single Post - What makes you happy?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy Creamcheese View Post
So it's okay to pay someone for "artisinal" goods, but people who sell digital goods can go fuck themselves?
I'd happily purchase physical recordings of Luigi Russolo if he were alive and offering anything for sale. The same goes for Stockhausen, Cage, and everyone else. But how is one to survey their catalogs of recorded works without downloading a lossless discography uniformly sorted by catalog number and date of issue? How else would you make an informed decision on which pressings, which masters, etc you'd prefer for your library? A fella needs to perform comprehensive comparative analyses to make a proper decision!

Besides, multiple studies have concluded that the ‘worst’ file-sharing pirates spend significantly more on physical media content than ‘honest’ consumers. Torrentfreak published an article about this subject in May of 2013.
Of course, I can only speak for myself, but my purchasing habits align directly with the findings of the Columbia 2012 and OfCom 2013 studies. My non-legal collection comprises several hundred thousand recordings, many of which are not available for purchase at any price from any commercial service, streaming, physical media, or otherwise, so I couldn't purchase them even if I wanted to. Still, my downloads directly result in significant media investments.

So far in 2016 my downloading resulted in over $1,600 in purchases of 45 albums and box sets. Statista reports that average US consumer music purchases in 2016 total $13 for CDs and $5 for vinyl. By these numbers, my piracy-inspired purchases total more than that of the next 90 consumers combined. And this is common among the ‘worst’ file-sharers.

While unfortunately, the other 99% of filesharers don't do their part, the 1%-ers statistically compensate for their slack. And total media spending is proportionally influenced by the amount of content you seize. So take it all! Educate yourself! Develop a discerning ear for the most exquisite recordings the world has to offer!

Then buy the finest specimens for your own library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo View Post
Dude, JUST BUY A ****ING DYSON VACUUM AND RELISH IN YOUR DECISION.
mmm... Dyson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote