Music Banter - View Single Post - What makes you happy?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 10:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy Creamcheese View Post
But dude...
You raise several critically important points. The media marketplace in the digital post-scarcity economy is far from a black-and-white issue. It really shakes me up when people remind me that there are still some people out there who pay for non-physical goods. I really can't understand it and I often forget those people are still out there somewhere.

But what I find more confusing is your description of artists who sell exclusively digital content. How does that exist? How does anyone control valued digital goods? It would require the suppression of their inherent and fundamental qualities of being infinitetly replicable and being distributed at zero-cost. I ask this as an honest question because it defies any reasonable understanding of digital goods.

Does Apple still sell music? If so, how have they maintained that preposterous platform? It is absolutely impossible to capitalize on digital goods. This was effectively demonstrated with the complete failure of streaming services to generate a positive cashflow for over 90% of the artists whose content they streamed. This was further demonstrated by the end of the software industry. Adobe adapted to this realization by switching to subscription-based software which a small percentage of lesser-informed individuals still pay for on a monthly basis. (Much like we've seen with cable subscriptions.) It really makes no sense at all.

But do not misinterpret my intention. Artists deserve to be compensated for their works. They contribute a vital asset to the cultural economy. I don't know of any digital-only artists but you've expressed that they exist and they too would deserve compensation. As there is no way to control the distribution of digital goods, many have opted for the PWYW model which has worked well for many artists.

The fact that everyone needs to face is that currency and copyright have absolutely no relevance in the digital market. It makes no sense to charge for an infinitely replicable and distributable good. In that world, ownership is collective and universally simultaneous.

How does the capitalist philosophy reconcile itself with that fact?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote