Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Message
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 02:03 AM   #24 (permalink)
Merkaba
Whitewater!

I like some political lyrics. But I only like when an artist really gets stuck into what they believe.

Thats why I like RATM so much. They put so much energy into making their opinions felt that you almost didn't care what they were fighting for, as long as you were on their side and not on the recieving end. The fact that they were fighting for peoples rights did make it that much more emphatic however.

To really generalise right now, Greendays American Idiot is a terrible effort at being political. The presentation is not there. It's too watery and theres no punch whatsoever. Rage could have used the exact same lyrics and made a killer song out of it. Even though it's really short by their standards, I have no doubt that they would throw everything they had into that song and pulled it off.

My point is, I don't care if bands sing about cliched politics, I only care that they do it with some goddamn vindiction and passion. Politics play a massive part in peoples lives, in some places they are critical, and if a band is going to go down the political path I only wish they put their heart, arse and testicles into what they're fighting for.