Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's 25 Favorite Albums Of 2016 (plus Honorable Mentions)
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

25. Dream The Electric Sleep – Beneath The Dark Wide Sky

Genre: Alternative Rock / Shoegaze / Art Rock
Put On A Playlist With: early Foo Fighters, Jeff Buckley, Queens Of The Stone Age, Cave In

These guys' last album, the self-produced Heretics, was my #1 album of 2014...and for good reason. Whereas that sophomore outing was exceptionally proggy in some key respects, this one is a heavier, hookier listen overall, and an absolutely blistering alt-rock experience.The production from Nick Raskulinecz (Foo Fighters, Alice In Chains, Rush) brings a seasoned view to the landscape here, creating glorious opportunities for vocalist Matt Page to let his Buckley-esque pipes soar to amazing effect on 'Let The Light Flood In' and 'Headlights'. And in a different time, songs like 'Flight' might have taken a band like Radiohead into even greater commercial success than they already had back in their relative infancy. Riveting stuff!

24. Mantra Vega – The Illusion's Reckoning

Genre: Island Prog Rock
Put On A Playlist With: Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Kate Bush, Sigur Ros

Beautiful little prog-rock project / supergroup consisting of vocalist Heather Findlay (Mostly Autumn) and keyboardist / producer Dave Kerzner (Sound Of Contact) and numerous guest players from big-name modern prog groups. There's a laidback Californian rock vibe coalesced against more traditional prog elements (Mellotron, flute, Floydian guitar solos, etc.) and it makes for a more accessible and (arguably) interesting listening experience for those who normally feel alienated by prog's pretensions. It helps that Heather has the voice of a goddess too!

23. Bruno Mars – 24K Magic

Genre: 80's/early 90's Electrofunk
Put On A Playlist With: Michael Jackson, Zapp, Kool & The Gang

Remember that song 'Treasure' that dominated 2013 radio? As overplayed as that song was, I realized from that point onward that Bruno Mars had the potential to evolve into someone fairly vital in mainstream music, keeping the glorious flame alive for genres and styles of funk/soul/R&B that otherwise remain the stuff of the past for the easily distracted masses. And there always needs to be people who are willing to fight that battle. In Bruno's case here on 24K Magic, he wins more than he loses, especially on blissed out bangers like 'Chunky' and the deliciously cheesy 'Versace On The Floor', where he unleashes the full power of his voice and sells a song that would be undoubtedly lesser in the hands of someone else.

22. Monkey House – Left

Genre: Westcoast Jazz-Pop-Rock
Put On A Playlist With: Steely Dan, Billy Joel, Chicago

Slinky jazz-rock for the modern era with the edge of Steely Dan sans the hipster sarcasm. These songs paint pictures in your mind and tickle the dad-rock itch to a T. Still, I think we can all forgive the sins of dad rock when the arrangements are so tight that you can't help but admire the craft behind it all. A crystalline production job and lots of guitar certainly doesn't hurt either. The crown jewel here is 'It's Already Dark In New York', a somber, shadowy after hours ode to the Big Apple that, in a six minute span, actually eclipses the masters of the genre by the end of its run.

21. Yung Lean – Warlord

Genre: Stoned, oh-so-sad Hip Hoppin' A E S T H E T I C
Put On A Playlist With: VAPORWAVE, Pitbull, Devin The Dude

Second time at bat by the Interwebz favorite Swedish rapper. His slovenly, lulz-ridden delivery crucified upon the canvas of slowed down 80's A-ha samples was not appreciated by Anthony Fantano or the rest of the white guys who fancy themselves SMEs on hip-hop, but I assure you this is the best spoken word experience you will have all year. Just take my word for it and light up.

20. Purson – Desire's Magic Theatre

Genre: Psychedelic Rock, Acid Rock, Occult Rock
Put On A Playlist With: Black Sabbath, Janis Joplin, Donovon, King Crimson

Do you like the proto-metal and early progressive rock like King Crimson? Do you like visceral old school rock with 60's jazz flute, lots of fuzz and plenty of layers to unravel? Well do I have an album for you! I kid you not, Purson are kicking ass and doing it better than pretty much anyone alive right now. They have that perfect balance of old school psychedelic pop sensibility with enough off kilter smarts to speed ahead of bands like Blood Ceremony and their ilk. And this is coming from someone who loves those bands, but I know quality when I hear it. Grab your nearest vampire bat and dig in!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 11-23-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote