Music Banter - View Single Post - Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #171 (permalink)
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard
OQB

Colleen Green - I Want to Grow Up
Recommended by Goofle

Yeah mother****er, that's right. We're going for a trifecta today. 3 reviews one journal, ya heard. The return of TH has inspired me I guess, or something.

I Want to Grow Up:
Oh damn, super fuzzy guitar lead to start this off. Not at all what I was expecting from this, but I certainly like what I'm hearing. Sort of has a Tacocat vibe to it, just a little less sugary. Really nice production as well, the drums in particular sound quite good. To quote the long lost JGuyGrungeman, the lyrics have "a certain type of teenage angst" which as an angsty teenager myself I do quite like.

Wild One: This track is a little less wild and noisy (ironically?) but I'm still a fan. She has a great voice, and this one is even more similar to Tacocat. Nothing to innovative going on, it's an indie-pop love song which I'm sure we've all heard before. It's catchy though and that's enough to please yours truly.

TV: The distorted guitar is back with this cut, still not as noisy as the first track and it doesn't seem to consume the track as much either. Very monotone and seemingly uninterested vocal approach. Not quite as catchy as the other tracks either, it does still have a certain charm to it though.

Pay Attention: Yesss, this is better. I like the upbeat jingle this one has going for it. This is definitely some solid power pop. Her guitar player and drummer are quite good as well, there have been a lot of moments where I've found myself enjoying them the most.

Deeper Than Love: This sounds slightly familiar, not sure where I've heard it but I do believe I have. Not crazy about the vocal effects, sounds like she's singing through a megaphone or a PA system. This track also lacks the fun and upbeat nature that had me digging the earlier cuts. Not bad but a little drearier than I'd like to hear after the other songs. This cut is more synth-pop than anything else I think.

Things That Are Bad For Me (Part I): Better, but it still reminds me a lot of Tacocat and I can't shake that resemblance off. It's not necessarily a bad thing, I just think they do the sound a little better.

Things That Are Bad For Me (Part II): Pretty cool transition between the two tracks. I like this song more already though, very atmospheric and droney repetitive guitar makes for a different approach from her. Slight feedback from the guitar as we progress but for the most part it's just a simple, hypnotizing loop that really draws me. Think Chelsea Wolfe but less heavy and dense. This is one of the best tracks so far. A guitar solo to cap this one off too, me digs.

Some People: Back to the poppier style here, most comparable to the second track with the sugary approach and less monotonousness vocals.

Grind My Teeth: She definitely has a knack for writing some catchy hooks. As the track slows down my interest starts to drain a little bit, not crazy about the direction it takes. The synths coming in aren't really changing my opinion but the chorus comes back around and it's all good again. ICANTSTOPGRINDINGMYTEETH.

Whatever I Want: Solid way to end the album. Most of what I enjoyed about Things That Are Bad For Me (Part II) is featured here as well. She can make some damn good songs when she really wants, shame the album is a bit all over the place.

Final Verdict: There's some tracks I really found myself enjoying, and some that just never made much of a mark. As a whole I would say the good outweighs the bad, but this is definitely an album that will see me put the skip button to use if I listen to it again.

Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote