Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Theme Park
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #58 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: “Quietus (Silent reverie)"
Format: Single
Written by: Simone Simons, Mark Jansen, Coen Janssen, Yves Huts, Jereon Simons and Ad Sluijter
Performed by: Epica
Genre: Symphonic Metal
Taken from: Consign to Oblivion
Year: 2005
Acclaim: n/a

I always go back and forth with Epica. While I can respect the connection with Kamelot, their music often seems very formulaic and over-dramatic. What? Says Batty: surely not! Symphonic Metal, formulaic? To which I say, haven't you a Kesha poster to rub up against? But Epica's usage of mezzo-soprano female vocal juxtaposed against male growls and grunts seldom works for me, and it does make many of their songs a little, shall we say, predictable? Still, if you're into Symphonic Metal, that's what you have to expect I guess.

This starts kind of as you might expect, a Celtic style reel or whatnot, then the voice of Simone Simons joined by the Epica choir (look it up) but so far no growls. I'm sure they're on the way though: been a while since I listened to this. It's relatively short for an Epica song (clue is in the band name, guys!) clocking in at less than four minutes, and it has a nice driving rhythm that's not too dramatic, as their songs often end up being guilty of. Good instrumental section, with the Epica orchestra (yeah, they have one of those too!) in fine form. Oh look at that! No growls. Boss.

Things I like about this :

1. Good vocals from Simone
2. Good but not overblown effort from the choir
3. The orchestra works well without taking over the tune
4. No male growls
5. Celtic sort of feel to it

Things I don't like about this:

1. Nothing. I was going to say growls, but growls there are none, so Trollheart is happy.

Rating: