Music Banter - View Single Post - Just The Greats
Thread: Just The Greats
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Blank.
Jacob Sartorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
That's kinda how I see Nirvana too. What innovation can you credit to Nirvana in alternative music? Cause I luv Nirvana but apart from them popularizing the loud quiet loud formula they said they stole from the pixies and I don't see how they innovated alternative much.

From my perspective R.E.M was the first band I noticed that popularized alternative college rock. I see them as the band that opened the door for that genre but with Nirvana they sorta opened the door for grunge not alternative. Oddly enough I do see Nirvana more as an alternative band than a grunge one but I think their sound is more isolated and secluded regarding its influence on alternative. I could be wrong but the only bands I know that found similar success using a similar sound are Bush and Silver Chair.
Well, grunge popped up in mainstream as a result of Nevermind's success. and in the process of labels rushing to sign more grunge but unsure of what was grunge signed a bunch of alt bands in the process. Nirvana was heavily influential on reframing the entire music scene in the 90s. I've heard people even give arguments as to why Nirvana is responsible for the rise of gangsta rap. R.E.M. just seemed to ride on the coattails of that explosion.
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote