Music Banter - View Single Post - Just The Greats
Thread: Just The Greats
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Blank.
Jacob Sartorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
C'mon man you can like Nirvana without having to credit them for gansta rap that just ridiculous. You're right about the impact they had on mainstream music but as I recall bands like Soundgarden and Pearl jam were also at the forefront of that grunge movement and during that time I've met a lot of ppl that liked grunge but didn't like Nirvana. Usually they preferred Soundgarden.

From the perspective of a Nirvana fan it makes sense they can see it unfolding that way cause that's actually how used to see it too but now I'm an old Nirvana fan that thinks they were an alternative to grunge within the grunge movement. Bleach was grunge AF but that wasn't the sound that eventually came to define them, that was the never mind and in utero sound.

I think Nirvana also rode that grunge boom. They weren't responsible for it they were just part of it.
First of all, I didn't say I think they are responsible for the Gangster rap. I said I knew people who thought that. Second, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Aic, and the others had albums out before Nevermind. But those albums didn't gain massive mainstream success til after Teen Spirit flooded air waves. Frankly, grunge is so loosely defined that a lot of alt bands get lumped into it. I personally see alternative rock as an umbrella term for underground 80s rock bands and 90s rock bands.
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote