Music Banter - View Single Post - Great Tenderhooks album review
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2006, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
markus
Groupie

Default Great Tenderhooks album review

Hi

I hope you received my album called Devil Rides White Horses. We just got a great review.

My first press release is below.

PRESS RELEASE

Tenderhooks Productions is a new music production/record label based in Brighton. Our first release is called Devil Rides White Horses by Tenderhooks. There are 13 tracks and the style of the music is a fusion of indie rock and experimental tracks. Jealous Love will be the first single from the album.

Tenderhooks is a virtual rock star, he’s a mixture of Jim Morrison meets the Gorillaz. A website dedicated to Tenderhooks and his album was launched on the 7th of November 2005.
A new animation featuring Jealous Love has just been released on the website.

Review from Get Ready To Rock.com 16-01-06

“Tenderhooks is the alter ego of a singer-songwriter producer who chooses to market his output through a Jim Morrison meets Gorillaz animated character.

The first thing you wonder is why? Who the hell is Tenderhooks, where does he come from and what inspires him? All we know is that the music is a fusion of rock, pop, blues, and experimental.

To be honest I was expecting the worst. But there's something about Tenderhooks that makes you want to press the repeat button. It's a potpourri of contradictions. There's strong late sixties influences, but equally you can hear the influences of Oasis and Gorillaz. Mind you, their influences are equally buried in the flower power generation. There's also a very American ‘feel' to many of the lyrics with references to Chevrolettes, 45 pistols and dollar bills.

The title track opens the album with Jim Morrison vocals and Isley Brothers guitars. It wouldn't be out of place as a soundtrack to Vietnam. Jealous Love has Gorillaz vocals – a wonderful hook that has a Doors feel and more wonderful late sixties guitar work. Leave Me Be sounds like Nilsson delivering an Oasis ballad. Get To You is a quirky number with nice backing vocals and more slick guitar work.

It's Then has a Howling Wolf blues feel. Angie is a funky number with soulful female backing vocals and is catchy as hell. Zoot Stick evokes memories of You Put A Spell On Me meeting The Clash. Express Line Lady is pure blues boogie. Brothers & Sisters plays the album out in a wonderfully evocative blues/rock/soul/reggae style.

It's very difficult to express what Tenderhooks is about. It's almost Zappa-esque. There's some great songs, some great delivery. It sounds like everyone else, but no one else. One of the most original and exciting albums I've heard in a long time.” ****½ Review by Pete Whalley

Devil Rides White Horses is for sale from the Tenderhooks website, CDBaby, and The Music Index. Online downloads from iTunes, Karmadownload.com and other online retailers. Jealous Love will only be sold as a downloadable single at present.

markus is offline   Reply With Quote