Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Music Hall
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #111 (permalink)
Key

The Weeknd - Starboy (Full Review)

I've been listening to Starboy for the past 2 days now almost nonstop, and I've also not stopped talking about it, so I'm using this as an excuse to talk about it even more.

Back in my previous post, I've mentioned that I'd never really heard much of The Weeknd before this album, and that still remains to be true, mostly because I've become hopelessly addicted to this album. It's one of the very few occasions with music where I really don't mind how long it is, because every single track is ****ing perfect. The production value to the dark lyrics mixed with the somewhat enlightening tones and beats really make this album something special.

I know a lot of people listen to The Weeknd and there is a lot to love especially when it comes to his dark lyrics, and I would like to fall into the category of the people that appreciates everything there is to appreciate about him. I've come to conclude after listening to this album almost nonstop that this is more than a hip-hop album, it's more than a pop album, it's an incredible experience with a story to tell with every single track. He teams up with some great acts in this album, and honestly, that's just the icing on the cake because just him by himself already has the ability to make this something phenomenal and special.

It's certainly been a fantastic year for music, and The Weeknd delivers and then some, much like a lot of acts have done this year. Even Metallica released a fairly decent album. I do want to repeat as I've said before that I'm just getting familiar with hip-hop as a genre, so anything I find that sounds good, I'm obviously going to cling to with an iron fist. I know there have been some negative reviews about this album with it not sounding like his other stuff, but for a first listener, this is beautiful.

A friend of mine posted on Facebook when the album was released that the album is a masterpiece, and at this point I'm inclined to believe him. My last.fm is pretty much filled to the brim with The Weeknd tracks solely, and almost nothing else, and I don't see that dying down any time soon.

If you haven't taken the time to listen to this album, even if you're not the biggest fan of The Weeknd, I strongly suggest you give it a spin, at least once. Decide if you like it or not, then move on. But I guarantee you'll end up getting one or two, or five songs stuck in your head. I have to say out of all the tracks actually that Secrets is the best on the album. Which is saying something since every single track is better than the last.

This is going to be one of those albums that I play the **** out of for months on end with no regret. I'm going to tell everybody I know about it, and I hope they enjoy it as much as I do.

A 5/5 album for sure.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote