Music Banter - View Single Post - Just The Greats
Thread: Just The Greats
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillBill View Post
Velvet Underground, The Strokes, Deerhunter, Jesus and Mary Chain, Talking Heads, Television, Guided By Voices, Pixies, Temples, The Horrors, Sonic Youth,
The Stone Roses, Black Lips, Joy Division, The Smiths, The Libertines, The Doors,
The Cure

A.) Honestly, you don't have to tell anyone here about the Pixies, that is what we have Black Francis for (that's Black Francis the MB member, not the irl Black Francis guy)
B.) How does The Doors make it onto a indie/alt Rock list? They were more along the Psychedelic Rock/Acid Rock vein. Don't get me wrong I like them and all, but if you going to talk about indie bands and then include "The Doors," than you might as well included every 60s Psychedelia and Garage Rock band ... ever ... in the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blankmind View Post
Well, grunge popped up in mainstream as a result of Nevermind's success. and in the process of labels rushing to sign more grunge but unsure of what was grunge signed a bunch of alt bands in the process. Nirvana was heavily influential on reframing the entire music scene in the 90s. I've heard people even give arguments as to why Nirvana is responsible for the rise of gangsta rap. R.E.M. just seemed to ride on the coattails of that explosion.
I knew I shouldn't have wondered into this thread cause now I have a headache. I think you have it backwards, there were dozens of bands before Nirvana that paved the way for them. R.E.M. was one of them. Nirvana would be lumberjacks cutting down trees in the back woods of Washington if it wasn't for MTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillBill View Post
If you think you know a band that would fit into that list would like to know very much

There are dozens of bands to get into, probably too many to list. Here a few sample of really good/great bands spanning five decades.

The Clash (minus Cut the Crap album)
R.E.M. (the I.R.S. years)
Stereolab
Broadcast
Melody's Echo Chamber

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote