Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's 25 Favorite Albums Of 2016 (plus Honorable Mentions)
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

19. Case/Lang/Veirs – Case/Lang/Veirs

Genre: Indie Folk / Baroque Pop
Put On A Playlist With: Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, k.d. lang (obviously), Joanna Newsom

A supergroup made in heaven. You have k.d. lang, Neko Case, and Laura Veirs, all top tier female singer-songwriters, combining their voices and ideas into a gorgeous, harmony-dappled folk rock opus that sounds like the culmination of every Seattle coffeehouse performance you've never seen and then some. They trade up lead at times and play with different storytelling approaches, but the Lang-led 'Honey And Smoke' is absolutely fantastic in particular....like something out of the vaults of early Roy Orbison with extra nutmeg.

18. Inglorious – Inglorious

Genre: Classic Rock with extra shots
Put On A Playlist With: Deep Purple, Bad Company, Led Zeppelin, Lucifer's Friend, Aerosmith

Almost half a decade back, a Thor-looking choirboy named Nathan James tried out for The Voice and got shafted by a decidedly non-rock/metal oriented audience despite his remarkable vocal talents, a prowess that recalled everyone from Robert Plant to David Coverdale. Fast forward to the present and now he has his own band, the larger than life Inglorious...and boy does this debut kill. Gloriously bluesy and driving with hooks to spare, this album was an early highlight of 2016 and even now I think it could easily be ten places higher on this list. Can't recommend this one enough guys...get it. I mean it!

17. David Bowie – Blackstar

Genre: David Bowie
Put On A Playlist With: David Bowie...maybe Scott Walker too.

This is one of the few albums I've ever heard in my life that actually hurts my soul to listen to. Not because it is bad sounding (as it is beautiful and jazzy and strange in all the right ways) but because like Queen's Innuendo...this awe inspiring material is the sound of someone descending (or perhaps ascending) into the abyss with a plastered, loathsome smile. And the scary thing is that it is the absolute best thing David has recorded since the early 80's without a doubt. Reaching a creative pinnacle this good whilst dying....absolutely mind boggling.

16. Eric Benet – Eric Benet

Genre: Top notch R&B stuff
Put On A Playlist With: Earth, Wind & Fire, Prince, Luther Vandross

Mr. Benet here isn't anything amazing deep by any means, but moreso than even Bruno Mars you have a guy who has been at the vintage R&B game since the mid 90's demonstrating he still has many, many killer jams up his sleeve. This self-titled was supposedly done in tribute to Maurice White of EW&F, and the adoration shows throughout, with Benet shifting between a Maxwellian croon to high-tenored Phillip Bailey chorus with ease. If you loved 24K Magic, you'll love this even more.

15. Enigma – The Fall Of A Rebel Angel

Genre: Ambient / Electronic
Put On A Playlist With: Delerium, Gregorian Chanting, New Age jamz with lots of incense

Germany's favorite electronic producer Michael Cretu returns with his best album since 1994's The Cross Of Changes. I'm sure anyone reading this knows whether they like, hate or are indifferent toward the Enigmatic style of ambient/electronic music, but in an attempt to sell this to you guys I will say that this time around Cretu comes packing with a great concept and some inspired guest vocalists, as the video above demonstrates. Put on those monk smocks and light those candles!

14. Incognito – In Search Of Better Days

Genre: Neo-Soul, Acid Jazz, EDM, Jazz Pop, R&B
Put On A Playlist With: Erykah Badu, Lauryn Hill, classic D'Angelo, Brand New Heavies, Jamiroquai

The kings of European neo-soul / R&B continue to reign with great benevolence and a knack for deep grooves, thoughtful lyrics and an overall band / vocalist interplay that's tighter than ionic electronegative bonds. These guys are keeping the best parts of the mid 90's R&B sound alive with unmatched vibrancy and power, and that's worth something IMO.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote