Music Banter - View Single Post - Let's Build Loren (the albums that have shaped my life)
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #42 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

bored again

Even if Boards of Canada were the first electronic musicians I started listening to regularly, it was this album that made ne think "Jesus **** what all can even be done within electronica?"

And the answer would be: a lot

This is pretty big album packing some pretty big music. Amazingly glitchy and original, super technical and inventive stuff. IDM is a pretty interesting style when you consider this and all the other main stuff like Autechre and Squarepusher. It's very very complicated, intricate, and I'd wager total spastic nonsense for some people hearing it for the first time. I never exactly knew what to make of the tag "intelligent dance music", but whatever. Calling this dance music is kind of a stretch IMO, the dancers must have some interesting moves. Some of it, like this here, is often a barrage of angular electronic and atonal melodies, highly complex drum patterns that are probably incredibly tedious to produce, and a variety of outside/experimental elements, classical music seems to be prevalent.

The arrangements on this album come straight from the deepest and most inaccessible caverns of human imagination. No ideas are ever repeated, just total bleepy jackhammering, combined with classical like string/piano/whatever arrangements.

Very interesting music, but it always had me wanting more, wanting to hear everything you can possibly do with it. With these impossible blasts of eccentricity, pretty much never sounding like the last, the possibilities do stretch far

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote