Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 03:07 AM   #18196 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Absolutely floored. Gripping and really amazing on all fronts: cinematography, rounded characters, amazing and well paced plot, the damn works all up in this bitch. Definitely shouldn't have poured so much vodka in my soda so that I could have seen it on the big screen instead of a shaky cellphone video of the big screen, but whatever. 9/10 (will likely increase on my next full length viewing when I show this to friends)

Spoiler for the deets:
When Louise started to experience time in a nonlinear fashion I was immediately was reminded of Slaughterhouse Five and loved how they depicted that idea, of experiencing time as a whole instead of a cross-section. The central misunderstanding around the weapon/gift message was a goddamned brilliant exploration of humanity that in hindsight I should have picked up on during the kangaroo anecdote given that it was a part that I remembered well from my first viewing. People mentioning romance did kind of spoil the ending for me because what else was going to happen? Still, I thought that the parts with Hannah were flashbacks until she went into the shell with Costello I think? Or was it Abbot? The one that didn't die.
Spoiler for spoiler:
Yeah it's not often that a twist legitimately makes me go, "Oh ****!", but when she went into the ship for the last time I was knocked outta my seat. Even after the movie was over I was talking to my friend just trying to figure out just how the time **** worked.

I still didn't get how she was supposed to know the Chinese dude's wife's last words, but then I realized that they might be hinting that while she's becoming one with her past and future selves that she might also be merging with everyone and time itself.

Head go kablooie.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote