Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #18210 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Spoiler for .:
As was mentioned earlier, I do think that the language had become very popular by that point in time when he gave her the info. I do think that the type of consciousness in a way was given to them by the heptapods so that the earth will get closer to a collective consciousness than a planet of tribes because of how much of our lives are built around interaction.
Spoiler for spoiler:
But a collective consciousness that includes all of current and future human experience, so that every human still existing by the time that humanity "evolves" will become a permanent part of human consciousness. Right?

If all of that is true I like how they didn't spell it out. It would have felt too expositiony to explain all that, and the people who don't need all that much depth would probably be bored by it, and the people who do care are probably smart enough to figure it out for themselves.

And I wonder how that will include the aliens. We're supposed to save the aliens somehow, and I wonder if that isn't supposed to be merging with THEM in a way that our separate collective experience will somehow affect their own collective consciousness. Much as the merging of ideas throughout human history has expanded and grown the ideas and cultures of specific societies (e.g. like how Middle Eastern culture spurred the Renaissance in Europe.)

If so then it's a clever way to comment on current events while also commenting on human cultural history in general.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote