Music Banter - View Single Post - Games you're waiting for
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #243 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
It could get tedious in later playthroughs but I distinctly remember stopping in missions just to look at the galaxy from the surface of the planets. I took my time to soak it in with that game and the customization had it's flaws sure, but that's what gave it the RPG feel, they shouldn't have taken it out, they should've improved it.

I submerged myself on ME1 and eagerly wanted to play the second one and when I did I saw the combat was way better but they simplified a lot of other things that players like you may find tedious but players like me like. Making equipment trivial and making planet exploration trivial kinda ruined my immersion in the game. I swear the god, some f*ckin halo freak said in a meeting: "We're gonna make ME2 a mediocre shooter and we're gonna skip all that rpg stuff. The focus is gonna be f*ckin aliens, story and shooting" So Sh*t now is rushed, you don't have time to soak in the atmosphere.

I'm gonna play it again cause I honestly want to love ME2 like I did the first one but I've tried 2 times already to get into it and dropped it.
I wish they'd tried improving the rpg and exploration **** as well, but considering how EA ****ed up bringing customization back in ME3 I'm gonna call it a win that they took what they were good at and actually did it well.

While they definitely took the franchise down the shooter route, I think it's unfair to paint 2 as some Halo or COD type game. It was a very different 3rd-person shooter, and 3rd-person shooters generally concentrate on idiosyncratic gameplay styles rather than twitchy, shallow, 1st person shooter drek. ME2 definitely did that.

And I love ME1, and have sunk countless hours into it, but after playing all three games so many times my tastes have shifted more to the stuff that has replay value rather than the stuff that made the biggest impression the first time around. The first two games were definitely the best, and the first one was the more creative and groundbreaking, but the polish of 2 won out for me over time.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote