Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #41064 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blankmind View Post
Not true. Most addicts are disenfranchised individuals who feel disconnected from society. They use the drugs as an escape. By simply lending a little compassion can help.
I've been good friends with an addict. He was a cluster**** of a human being, and if being friends with him taught me something it's that it honestly normalizes their situation so that being a drug addict no longer feels so terrible, cause hey, this guy is sticking by me. Or at least that's how I perceived it.

And to be perfectly honest I think compassion for an addict who isn't seeking out help on their own might very well have the opposite effect, as now that you're making explicit to them that their behavior is NOT normal, and in fact is pitiable, it will only widen the gulf between them and non-addict society. If you were having money troubles and I just walked up to you and handed you a hundred dollars unsolicited for you to pay your rent, would it make you feel better or worse?
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote