Music Banter - View Single Post - Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #219 (permalink)
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard
OQB

Stampin' Ground - A New Darkness Upon Us
Recommended by The Batlord

Yo so this will probably be a rather short review because it's hard to break down metalcore on a track to track basis. I just hope this cave's my head in. I've heard Carved From Empty Words before and I seem to remember it being pretty raw so I have a feeling this will deliver.

A New Darkness Upon Us: Light guitar intro, some feedback in the background. The calm before the storm, if you will. Interesting, they seem to be taking their time kicking things off.

Don't Need A Reason To Hate: There we go. There's some serious elements of thrashcore in here if I'm being honest. Pretty ****in' gnarly regardless, the drums are little too loud in the mix if I'm being fair but I can live with that. Now it's getting really groovy, almost an early LoG vibe.

Behind the Light: This track is better. The drums don't seem to be hovering over top of every thing else. The vocalist sounds like a cross between Randy Blythe and Phil Anselmo which is a lot better than you would think.

Killer of Society: Basically what I said about the last two songs.

Dead From the Neck Up: These guys have some pretty effective choruses. They're simple but incredibly catchy. The riff at the end of this track is totally the ****.

The Cage: The groove reminds me of Down With the Sickness so **** this track. Honestly I hate Disturbed so much that even though this track isn't bad, I hate it for reminding that they exist.

Bear the Scars: Another thrashier cut. This drummer is kind of a madman.

Betrayal Has a Face: I wish I had more to say about this album Batty. It's not bad, there's just not a lot that can be said about such a straight forward album.

Pain Is Weakness: I'm listening to this on YouTube and I've lost track of which track I'm on because there are no time stamps... I think it's this one. Pretty good once again. Oh, definitely this track. Here comes the chorus.

PAIN IS WEAKNESSSSSSSS.

Unmarked Grave: Another solid track.

Ashes to Scatter: ^

Mantra of a Dying World: And now we're wrapping things up. I like this outro a lot. A solid way to close out the album

Final Verdict: This was incredibly decent. I liked it for what it was, a metalcore album with a ton of groove metal influence, but it failed to really blow me away like the Acme album did. All in all I still enjoyed, not sure that I'll come back to it but it's worth a listen for anyone that's into metalcore. I would definitely recommend Carved From Empty Words over this though.

Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good

Last edited by Ol’ Qwerty Bastard; 12-05-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote