Music Banter - View Single Post - The Devil's Dancefloor
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thelonious Monkey
Caesar is home.

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

So we begin our journey with Iron Maiden's debut. This was the first ever Iron Maiden album I listened to, and it's honestly still one of my favorites. A lot of people (including the band), criticized the production, which I never understood because it sounds perfect to me. And while most people prefer the Bruce Dickinson years, I always preferred Paul's vocals and how the band sounded on their first two albums. So, let's get going.

So we kick off with Prowler, and holy **** it's been a while. Great ****ing opener, with Di'Anno just spitting and snarling along. The guitar comes in, with an epic solo that just hypes me up. Great way to kick off an album. Remember Tomorrow is next, and this is pretty decent. I remember saying that I thought this was a forgotten gem and I still think that. It's certainly not a favorite, but it does it's job well, contrasting soft sung sections with top notch guitar riffing/soloing in the middle of the song. Admittedly I don't much enjoy when he sings softly like this, but it's made up for that instrumentally. Oh ****, next is Running Free. Technically, it's not all that good, but it's hella catchy. And you guys know my taste pretty well now. So I can't fault this song. Nothing much to say here, but a damn classic that never gets old. Phantom of the Opera next, which is where we get a taste of what Iron Maiden would transition into later in their career. Speaking of transitions, the song goes through numerous different sections, being almost progressive at times. Sweet little guitar solo's everywhere, building up, till it transitions into a thumping mid-tempo rhythm and a bad-ass riff takes center stage. And **** just speeds up, Di'Anno just snarling like a deranged madman.

Transylvania kicks of side two, their first ever instrumental. Not a huge fan compared to some others, but does its job well. Halfway through it just speeds up, and epic soloing commences and some sweet ass riffs here as well. And shout out to Steve Harris, for his wonderfully smooth bass playing, which dominates just as well as the guitars. And a nice little soft outro. Pretty cool man, I might just change my mind and say it's pretty damn awesome. And the song just transitioned so smoothly into Strange World that I didn't even notice. It all slows down for this one, very atmospheric as well. Gently sung, and Paul isn't half bad to say I don't like the slow songs on this album as much. Not a favorite, but admirable. Oh man, Charlotte the Harlot is next, and I love this one man. Charlotte reappears in the Bruce Dickinson era, but I will always prefer this song. The chorus is catchy as well, can recite it any day. The final track Iron Maiden is next, and I remember loving this finisher. Paul growls and snarls through the whole thing, speeding along with the drums. An exquisite little bass solo in the middle, and the drumming just thumps along like any classic heavy metal song. And it ends like a mother****ing boss. Great way to end their debut, and a great debut overall.

I'm not sure how to conclude a review, since I feel like I'd just be repeating myself. So I guess I'll just repeat myself, and say that I absolutely adore this album, maybe a tiny bit more than Killers (although I guess we'll truly find that out in the next review). Standouts for me include Running Free, the single that actually introduced me to Iron Maiden, although I didn't know who the band was at the time. But it's what happens when your uncle is a metalhead and you ask him to put some songs on your IPod. Other standouts were Phantom of the Opera, Transylvania, Charlotte the Harlot and Iron Maiden.

1. "Prowler"
2. "Remember Tomorrow"
3. "Running Free"
4. "Phantom of the Opera"
5. "Transylvania" (instrumental)
6. "Strange World"
7. "Charlotte the Harlot"
8. "Iron Maiden"

So my rating is...

Thelonious Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote