Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Listening List 2015/2016
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #124 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Cast in Steel
Artiste: a-ha
Year 2015
Nationality: Norwegian
Genre: Pop

Expectations: There has been the odd bad album from these guys, but they're few and far between. Given that they came out of retirement specially to record this album, I'm expecting something along the lines of Analogue or even back to the heyday of the likes of Scoundrel Days.

1. Cast in steel: a-ha have a real talent for writing songs packed full of hooks, and this, the opener, shows that in spades. Right away there's a bouncy, catchy melody and the chorus is pure classic a-ha. Morten sounds like he's never been away, and the band appear to just slot back together after six years as if they had never broken up. It's a gentle song with an edge of steel (sorry) in it; could easily hear this on the radio. Beautiful performance by the Macedonian Radio Symphony Orchestra.
2. Under the makeup: Beautiful piano line driving this, Mags at his best and the orchestra really coming into their own. A lovely ballad; perhaps a little soon to have one, but that's a-ha for you. I'm sure it won't be the only one on the album.
3. The wake: A chance for Pal to come to the forefront with a bouncier, boppier song, and again it has that great catchy chorus. Lovely sprinkly keyboards.
4. Forest fire: Nodding back to the days of “Take on me” and “I've been losing you”, this one rocks along on a sprightly synth line from Mags, the drumbeat almost identical to that from their massive hit single. Wonderful vocal from Morten. What is he now? Fifty-seven? Doesn't sound it at all. Never lost that clear, youthful, almost angelic quality to his voice.
5. Objects in the mirror: Lovely thick bassline driving this, then Mags takes control with lush, stately keyboards, helped by some exquisite violin, cello and viola.
6. Door ajar: This is the first track that doesn't have me reaching for the Green right away. It has a sense of seventies pop and eighties new wave but somehow it doesn't do it for me. A little lightweight perhaps compared to the tracks before it. Filler? Not quite, but a weak track certainly.
7. Living at the end of the world: Back on track with a sumptuous strings-driven ballad, this time it's the Bylund Strings providing the orchestral touch. Nice sort of midpaced with a cool little guitar motif running.
8. Mythomania: Funking it up a little now, (I said funking!) with a slightly Arabic sounding keyboard riff that reminds me of Rod Stewart's “Do ya think I'm sexy?” Also touching on “The sign” by Ace of Base a little. Definite marching idea about it that I could see going down well on stage. Also possibly in the clubs.
9. She's humming a tune: Lovely acoustic guitar from Pal opens this before it kicks up into a real bopper along the lines of “Scoundrel days” with some fine keyboard flurries. Nice to see a reprise of the acoustic guitar fading out at the end.
10. Shadow endeavours: Uptempo keyboard with a nice little melody and some good vocal harmonies. Changes nicely at the end into a much slower tempo. Bit odd if I'm honest.
11. Giving up the ghost: Has touches of “The Safety Dance” about it but a great boppy pop song.
12. Goodbye Thompson: Not sure who Thompson is, but this is a nice kind of slightly dark ballad to end.

Final result: Tailed off a little in the end, but still a great album. I was gutted when they announced their breakup after Foot of the Mountain, and though they've only agreed to reform for two years (anyone ever hear of such a thing before?) I hope they can rethink that or be convinced to stay around for longer, as this album is a fine example of what they're still capable of. Thirty years on and still churning out content of this quality.

Rating: